Thursday, June 25, 2015

New Hampshire Lakes Region Fishing Report 6-24-15

Posted by Wayne G. Barber
  The big lakes have seen a ton of rain the last few days and the water is a bit cloudy. Rainbow trout fishing has been good, especially Lake Winnipesaukee.  Fish are anywhere from surface (at early light) down to the 20-25 foot depths.  Landlocked salmon are in the same depth zone, even a bit deeper, 30-35 feet.  I still like to fish with a sinking fly line (trolling line 50 yards long) and this gets my flies down 20 feet.  I use a 20 foot leader with a small barrel swivel 5 feet in front of the fly.  I just hate to switch over to lead core and downriggers, but that time is coming soon.

Rivers and streams are still being stocked in the White Mountains, and flows are great for this time of year.  Ditto for trout ponds.  They are producing well right now, with a number of hatches occurring, mostly mayflies, but I have seen black caddis starting to appear on Lake Winnisquam recently.  Speaking of Winnisquam, I “ran into” a school of adult herring (alewives) this past weekend, as I was snorkeling by my camp.  Quite a sight to see, about 30 herring, moving in synchrony, 10-12 inches long!  They are the adults that fellow biologist’s Matt Carpenter and Ben Nugent recently stocked in the lake.  Now I just have to wait until the juveniles are big enough to become prey for salmon and rainbow trout!  These post-spawn fish are preparing to head back down to the ocean via the Winnipesaukee and Merrimack Rivers along with their offspring.

Smallmouth bass are generally off their nests now. While they might not be at the nest, if they haven’t been caught, they are generally in the area guarding the black fry.  I try to fish away from nests even if a bass is not apparent.

I’ve enjoyed writing fish reports these many years, and after 38 years with New Hampshire Fish and Game, I’ll be hanging up my work hat for good next week and going fishing! -- Don Miller, Regional Fisheries Biologist    Source: Donald Miller NH DEM Media Press Release

 P.S. I will have Donald Miller as a call in guest on the award winning "Outdoor Scene" on WNRI.COM on Sunday 6-28-15 at about 9:15am.waynewnri@yahoo.com with any questions or congratulations to Don.


You can E-Mail from now and during the broadcast at
waynewnri@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment