Monday, January 16, 2017

Poor Man's Shrimp

By W. Gauvin Barber

Poor Man's Shrimp



On Saturday, after the broadcast I was a little hunger and returned to Debbie's on Park Ave. Woonsocket, R.I. and being a smart small business woman ,she had memorized my previous order, light decaf coffee with no sugar, ham and cheese 3 X/L egg omelete and home fries, no bread, wheat belly diet, that you receive in a neighborhood diner. I felt like I was transported to 'Cheers' in Boston with the same regulars at the same stool. The only difference was a cold draft “Bud with a hot cup of 'Java' Dennis Lasardo and Oscar Hancock with some new jokes and local political satire.

I left in a good mood and went to get a Power Ball scratch ticket and met a WW II Veteran in line who got his scratch ticket also and was embarrassed for forgetting his wallet in the car. I shook his hand and thanked him for his service and sad I had won a small amount on last Wednesday's drawing and it would be great comma to let me pay for his ticket.


His mind was still sharp after about 87 years and smiled and sad, I know your distinctive voice, You are the man on the radio show” Outdoor Scene” every week end on WNRI.COM 1380am and I humbly replied, Thank You, for tuning in.


My wife and I listen religiously to every episode to a quality entertaining believable radio show about our Natural Resources.


We both agree with your vision and mission. He then sad that he was offended sometimes when I refer to the old timers when I was growing up. It was a different time and most outdoors activities were to put something in the pot, or table.


My ears and creative juices tuned in to the story being told by the gentlemans years of experience and hardened chiseled face in a methodical clear voice.


He sad young man my family went from well to do with all the immigrants that came to Woonsocket searching for any job and lodging in the mills and then would go purchase on time payments most all any other necessities from our family store.


Then the wars and the market crash of 1929 and the Marquette Credit Union collapse in the 1970's reduced the families old money savings to zero.


He said to me its back to “Poor Man's Shrimp” now.


I looked at him and asked if he could elaborate on the expression which I had never heard in my short life of 66 years.


He sad to me that it was the regular part of my broadcast that I repeat every few episodes referring to the old timers who loved jigging up a fresh bunch of winter firm flesh yellow perch and crappie, alias calico bass for a fish fry.


When he came back to States wounded from WWII and very little work waiting, do in part to “Rosie the Riveter” joining the workplace and the start of the mills moving down South.


He told me his Grand Dad and then his Father would say, I am having a craving for “Poor Man's Shrimp” when the cupboards started to get lean and a silent concern “ look” from the lady of the house without a harsh word spoken to feed their hungry family in hard times.


That is when we would gather up the fishing equipment and a few relatives or friends to share petrol costs at .29 cents a gallon to fill up some pecks baskets of fresh perch or the tasty calico's.


Sustenance, not catch and release in these hard times.


Some winter potatoes and fall butternut squash from the root cellar and a fresh loaf of bread. Listen to good quality radio program to make us forget about the hard times and be thankful the war had ended.


He sad quietly to me that he had over heard big John Martin, while playing stick ball on the Avenue comment, their family must be “Rich”, he had to chow down their re-heated potato soup and day

old crusty bread again last night. Their family had expensive “Shrimp” again this week.


He told me to get a pen and paper and he would hand down the secret recipe to me, just in case I too would happen to fall upon hard times.




Poor Man' Shrimp Recipe


Perch, Bluegills or Calico Bass, 'alias' Black or White Crappie


Fillets cut into ¾ inch strips


1 quart of boiling water seasoned with old bay and salt.


Drop strips into boiling water and cook until they turn to opaque


Immediately remove and drop into Ice Water


Drain and put in the Ice Box for 1 hour, Strips will firm up


Use tooth picks or a small fork to dip into a cocktail sauce or if the money cup was empty, Mom would replace with a tarter sauce.


If the fish should flake, it was over cooked. Little practice with small batches to perfect the free expensive Shrimp for supper !



W. Gauvin Barber 34 Hamlet St. Pascoag, R.I. 1-401-568-4894


No comments:

Post a Comment