Saturday, December 27, 2014

Open Water on Dec.27th ! I took advantage of it !



New England Weather, 53 degrees on Dec.27, 2014 The Trout had been stocked and a few of us die-hards took advantage to wet a line with the spring like conditions with very light wind. I started my trip after lunch because of the skim ice @22 degrees last night at Big & Little Round Top in Harrisville, R.I
 Big Round Top had only one fisher on the other side of the river using the same tactics as myself. I had my Ugly Stik 7 ft. rod and a open face reel Shimano 2500 pre-spooled with 6 lb test Berkley Tri-Line and all I took was a small arsenal of hardware the new sponsor PK Lures had sent me to do a hands on field trial with. In New England in the late fall we use the same tactics as the spring at ice-out for the put and take Arcadia State hatchery raised trout.
 The PK Lures really preformed well, right out of the package. The north side of the crystal clear body of water appeared to be about 7 degrees warmer so I tied on a PK Lure Flutter Fish 1/4 oz. part # FF1PCH Pearl Chartreuse. The weight forward lure can be jigged, casted and trolled. Uniquely designed for ultimate vibration and accurately mimics a distressed baitfish. When jigging, let the lure drop to desired depth, lift rod tip 8-12 inches and let it fall. The erratic action on the drop will trigger the fish to strike. This PK Flutter Fish will catch a wide variety of fish such as; Bass, Walleye, Salmon Perch, Trout, Crappie, Pike.
 In my case fishing from the shoreline I casted and counted to 4 and started a slow retrieve and the way the bright blue bird sky was hitting the water I was getting a real good flash. Second cast I missed a trout by going to fast on my retrieve. The fourth cast I landed a nice bright Brookie in her fall colors. Not a trophy but a December open water trout on a new lure.
All photos by W.Gauvin Barber  Permission is required for your use.


The Flutter Fish is offered in nine impressive colors including some with glow paint, and nine sizes ranging from 1/8 oz. to 2 1/2 oz. The 1/8 oz and 3/8 oz lures are perfect for panfish and the smaller trout, while the 3/8 oz. to 1 ounce versions are work well for Brown, Lake and Rainbows, Bass, Walleye and other large predatory fish. Quabbin and Wachusett Reservoirs and the Salt Water anglers should love the 1  1/2 ounce to 2 1/2 ounce sizes and the larger lures are being outfitted with a real nice 4x stronger hook for the larger stripers and bluefish. So if you are looking for a quality lure to add to your arsenal that catches all sorts of fish species, can be used in fresh or salt water, and can be fished using different techniques, please give PK Lures a try and let us know on this post or calling the show or by e-mail waynewnri@yahoo.com with a report and hopefully some nice bragging pictures

These PK Lures are made to catch fish !

All photos by W.Gauvin Barber, No reuse without permission.

Wind started to pick up.







The wind started picking up and I did not bring my insulated waders to reach a little farther out to the honey hole so I packed up and went to Little Round Top a short stone throw away to counter punch the sudden wind change. I had talked with the owner and designer of PK Lures Pat O'Grady to find more about his company after doing a totally un biased e-mail and live question on my radio show the "Outdoor Scene" last winter to the listening audience on their choice of the top 5 Ice Fishing Lures in the Country. PK Lures came in second and fifth with the two different sizes and colors from the survey.O'Grady strives to keep it simple in his lures and concentrates on the aspect of vision, vibration and scent. O'Grady told me. 'if you can make a lure that produces a nice visual effect, that's good. If it produces vibration too, that's even better and the Flutter Fish does both," said O'Grady.

No comments:

Post a Comment