Thursday, September 29, 2016

Last of a kind.

Posted by Wayne G. Barber


Toughie, the last Rabb’s fringe-limbed tree frog known to exist in this world, has died and his species is now extinct. You may recognize him from the OPS documentary film Racing Extinction. I had the honor of meeting Toughie twice and I wrote this article about meeting him: The Loneliest Frog in the World: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/…/the-loneliest-frog-in-the_b… He was a small, brownish frog with hands that looked like Gollum’s - appropriate, because he too, was precious.... I know

 Toughie was not majestic in the way that elephants, polar bears, orcas, tigers and some other endangered creatures are. But to me, and to Mark Mandica (his caretaker), Toughie was as majestic as they come. Meeting him was like meeting a little unicorn - the last of his kind.

 My dear Toughie, I am so sorry we couldn’t save you and your kind. Your sad story will be a voice for the other frogs in danger of extinction. May the four winds blow you safely home where you will forever glide from treetop to treetop like the tiny little brown superman you are. Goodbye little frog prince.

No comments:

Post a Comment